[OM] Thinking of taking the plunge....

Subject: [OM] Thinking of taking the plunge....
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 19:51:40 -0400 (EDT)
Adaptable Moose writes:

>Shooting one of Marnie's buckets as still life with tripod and live
view is a
>joy. Shooting their cat with it would be
>impossible - except perhaps for a blurred abstract. AF is the ticket
with
>Othello.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?>gallery=Travel/Nor
thEast_2012/Massachussetts/Hamilton&image=_9292310croofm.jpg>

>Note the ISO. This is a very black cat, and thus hard to make a good
image of.
>I hope this properly mixes detail with
>darkness.

Oooo, like that Othello portrait and the others as well. Perhaps I can
have a slightly larger version if available for the Othello gallery.
(fingers crossed) AF was indeed quick enough if not PD quick. Noticed a
subtle Moose self-portrait somewhat more discernable in O's right eye.
One can clearly discern Moose's bent elbow and the cam up to his eye.
By eye one can discern fur details in a straight black cat but no cams
even now can w/o rendering them slightly grey. Wonder why that is.
On the OM-5 note, I thought the Fuji XE-1 might blow it out of the
water in the high ISO department. Larger sensor, and no AA filter for
starters. The sensor is the same as X-Pro-1, so look at the images in
imaging resource. Alternatively look at the Max ISO for great 20X30
print table. Perhaps gain a stop at 1600 but back to parity by ISO
12800.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5A.HTM

The kit lens 18-55 is quite fast and I would bet the optics will be
stellar--we'll see soon. The stying is quite cool (the OM-D is very
very nice too) and I really really  like the exp comp and ISO dials in
lieu of menu madness.
IBIS, tiltable LCD, sensor shaker that actually works, a ton of
excellent glass in MFT, argue for OM-D.

I compared the higher ISO to my OM5DII--perhaps should not have--not
gaining a whole lot by carrying around 4X the weight. I do have my
zuiko's use at intended AOV and better dof control as well as faster
zooms if wanted though---at a price. The lack of AF microadjustment for
AF lenses at both end the
zoom, non 100% VF have been irritants and it will be for sale in the
non-distant future. OTOH, my lovely OM 4T is going nowhere.

Nex 7 isn't half bad either but FF NEX may be 6 mos away only.

Nex 7 compresses the RAW file a bit--not like Mp3's in audio though and
doesn't even seem to be detectable.
Seems an insult to byte purity only. Baso ISO detail looks as good as
OM5DII--yikes.
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2011/20111228_1-SonyNEX7-8bit.html

Going shoppin' at Hunt show this weekend with gift certificate in hand,
Mike