Re: [OM] IMG: Young Mam Boy

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Young Mam Boy
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 14:04:19 -0500
A big improvement over the previous "Kids in caps" but still
oversaturated and, I think, still a bit too much contrast.  Note in
particular:  This appears to be soft, moderately bright daylight but
soft enough that it is not casting any strong shadows.  Now look at the
boy's hand at right.  Half of the skin tones have gone to black or
nearly so.  That just shouldn't be the case in this light.

Can you show us an original scan with no adjustments?  Maybe the scanner
is set to produce too much contrast to begin with.  If a scan is too
dark or contrasty it can be difficult to recover what should be there.
A good scan will, if anything, be (like an expose to the right digital
image) a bit too bright but not have any blown highlights.  One can back
the brightness down and increase contrast... but it's much more
difficult to make significant corrections in the opposite direction.

Finally, you should be working in 16 bits during adjustments.  8 bits is
enough to cover the dynamic range of a printed image but does not
contain enough tonal detail to maintain tonal separation during major
brightness/contrast editing.  You can go back to 8 bits when the editing
is done.

Chuck Norcutt