Re: [OM] IMGS: Chicks

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Chicks
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 21:27:03 -0500
She can have as many as she will accept to sit on.  They are from her and
from other hens who lay in the same nest.  She was sitting on about 18 eggs
from several different chickens but only 10 hatched.  The broody hen has
nothing to do with whether she actually laid the eggs and the eggs could
have been fertilized by any rooster that was available over the last
several weeks.  Makes figuring out the breed of chicks interesting -
usually very mixed-breed!

Tina

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Cute pictures.  I didn't know incubation time was a month or that she
> could have as many as 10 at once.  She must be one busy mama.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 10/31/2012 5:51 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> > PESO:
> >
> > Our broody hen sat on a clutch of eggs very faithfully for almost a month
> > and was rewarded with 10 baby chicks.  A better job than our electric
> > incubator could do!
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/147087292
> >
> > She started teaching them to eat immediately.
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/147087316
> >
> > And a short two weeks later they are leaning to forage for food outside.
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/147087319
> >
> > She's been a very good Mama and protects the chicks fiercely from other
> > chickens, geese, ducks, dogs, and cats.
> >
> > Tina
> >
> --

Tina Manley, ASMP