[OM] LensRentals.com - Lensrentals Repair Data: January – July 2012

Subject: [OM] LensRentals.com - Lensrentals Repair Data: January – July 2012
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 06:53:37 -0500
Another good article from LensRentals.com.  On price and turnaround for
repairs Tamron looks excellent and Olympus looks fairly good.  Not so
good if you own Nikon or Sony.  One interesting observation is that
large, fast lenses have higher repair rates than their slower brethren.
  The highest frequency of repair items tend to be big, f/2.8 and really
big f/4 zooms.  I guess AF motors and drive gears suffer the effects of
moving large masses.  There are also comments about specific weaknesses
of certain lenses and bodies.  There is a very high frequency of repair
on the Canon 5D Mk III and Nikon D800s bodies and the Nikon 70-200 VRII
for a tripod foot that's too weak and is easily bent.  If you're in the
market for new (or even used) gear this is a recommended read.

ps:  I guess Tamron looks good on repairs since John Hermanson is now
working there.  :-)

<http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/lensrentals-repair-data-january-july-2012#more-9311>

Chuck Norcutt