Re: [OM] E-M5 Question

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 Question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 06:20:31 -0500
Mike's link was for the 70-200/2.8 IS Mk1 so I looked for the later Mk2
version <http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/2010/08/#t04>
which has these comments
... The IS unit’s control algorithm has been optimized to suit its
construction and characteristics, delivering a stabilization gain of
about four f-stops in shutter speed.*1
<snip>
A mechanism that prevents accidental IS operation when attached to a
tripod lets users shoot with a tripod with image stabilization on. The
lens’s image stabilization function is effective against even slight
camera shake during tripod shooting.*2, *3, *4

     *1 Image stabilization generally reaches its effective limit at a
shutter speed of about 1/[focal length] seconds.
     *2 Image stabilization is most effective at shutter speeds between
1/25 of a second and 1 second.
     *3 Image stabilization has no discernable benefit on images at
shutter speeds slower than 1 second.
     *4 In certain conditions, depending on the tripod type or camera,
there may be less blurring in the resulting photograph when the image
stabilization function is off.

Point *4 is seen in earlier Canon IS lens descriptions and is no more
helpful here than there.  What are the "certain conditions" and what
does "tripod type or camera" have to do with it?  :-)

Chuck Norcutt