Re: [OM] IMG: Boy in Straw Hat

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Boy in Straw Hat
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 17:30:57 -0500
You are right, Moose.  I want my scans to look like the originals,
Kodachrome colors included.  I love Provia and Astia for people but I love
my Kodachromes for the way they have kept their unique colors for 30 years.
 I'm still working on scanning but we are wallpapering the bedroom and I
haven't spent as much time on photos as usual.

Thanks,

Tina

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/9/2012 4:02 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> > Well, I guess I'm going to have to run the Color Munki on my monitor
> again
> > because I don't see that at all.  Any less saturation and the photo on my
> > monitor is almost black and white.  I desaturated it by -20 before I
> posted
> > it anticipating that everyone would think it was over-saturated.  My
> > monitor must be way off.
>
> Well ... I was very pleased to see the denim, something with which we are
> all far more familiar than the home
> made/embroidered clothes. My immediate reaction on seeing this image was
> release, "Aaaahhh", and comfort in the fact
> that the denim looked true in color.
>
> On my screen, with my eyes, it doesn't look oversaturated, at least not
> for Kodachrome. Kodachrome does REDs. Probably
> if it had been Ektachrome, I'd think the blue denim was overdone.
>
> There is a serious question here. Do you want the images to look like the
> Kodachrome originals, or like an almost
> neutral film? My suspicion is the former for you, while many here may be
> looking for neutral.
>
> As I've suggested before, the original slide next to the screen may be a
> better touchstone than any calibration or
> comments from others, if you want to retain the "Kodachrome Look".
>
> I happen to like going whole hog with color profile correction. That has
> the benefit that all films look the same after
> correction, neutral, natural, to my eye. Others dislike it, as they spent
> many years choosing films with specific, non
> neutral "looks" that suit their vision of particular subjects. Velvia, for
> example, becomes just another film if fully
> color managed.
>
> One may also do one corrected and one not as layers in PS, and simply
> 'dial in' the amount of special look desired.
>
> Color Managed Moose
>
> --
> --

Tina Manley, ASMP