Re: [OM] IMG: The Fruit Sellers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Fruit Sellers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 03:33:21 -0800
On 11/10/2012 1:14 AM, C.H.Ling wrote:
> [...]

I don't disagree, but Tina has decided to do them herself.

>> I have done this with an Oly Slide Copier on Oly Auto Bellows. ...
>>
>> And yet, after only a few slides, I could see that handling each slide
>> individually was going to get old really fast.
>> One can go through a stack faster than a scanner, as each exposure is
>> brief, but it's a quite labor intensive job. I can
>> just tell that repetitive motion is going to be a problem. Maybe if one
>> could hire someone to do the feeding?
> Shooting slide with 5D II can be very fast, there is no problem to achieve
> 2-3 slide a minute. I can never do this with my Nikon 4000ED and I don't
> have a slide feeder. Even with a slide feeder, Tina was telling us she can
> only make 20 slides an hour.

I agree one can do a few slides a minute. However, her Nikon does have a
feeder, so she can be doing something else
while the scanner works. Hand feeding a slide copier, you have to be there,
alert and working every second. Her auto
feeder will handle 50 slides at once, so one only need drop by every 2-3 hours
to put more slides in it to keep it going
all day.

>> Also, I would not use flash, having it go off right next to me over and
>> over and over again would be awful. I used one
>> of those inexpensive, 4x5" light 'tables'. Much easier on my eyes in any
>> case, and one may mask it to just the needed
>> area, so there' no glare.
> Inexpensive light tables do not have high color rendering index light source

I compared slides shot with this light source and 5D to the same slides scanned
with my Canon scanner, as they are very,
very close in color. That would be good enough for me. I did have to let the
light warm up and stabilize for maybe 5-7
minutes.

> and you need longer exposure. Longer exposure may not have big issue on
> noise but vibration could be a big problem under high magnification,

Again, no visible vibration vs. scans of the same slides.

> I much prefer flash for copy works.

That's fine. The repetitive flash, 2-3-4 times a minute would drive me crazy,
and I would stop work. Any way of doing a
project must be compatible with the one doing it. :-)   Flash might be fine for
Tina, too, but I think she really needs
to get the automated scanning process working.

>> The other, possibly big deal for me is dust removal. Both VueScan and
>> Silverfast claim to have found ways to use IR dust
>> recognition and removal on Kodachrome. Although I briefly tried the
>> Polaroid dust removal software Tina told us about,
>> I've done no careful testing, nor have I yet tested the VS Kodachrome IR
>> dust removal.
>>
>> I find it hard to believe a pure software solution would be as good and
>> consistent as the IR, but I don't really know.
>>
> Dust is a problem but not so much with diffused light source, I found little
> problem with my slides as they were processed and stored very well but the
> negatives are a big problem, many of them has finger prints and scratches
> due to the cheap processing labs.

LOL! You think anybody can hand feed thousand of slides without dropping a few
stacks on the floor, where they
inevitable pick up dust?I guess I've been luckier with processing, at least in
the last couple of decades, with very few
problems on color negs.

Up 'til recently, any color film, slide or neg, but Kodachrome, could be
automatically rid of dust and scratches with IR
based cleaning. Now, software folks are saying they have figured out how to do
it even for KR.

My limited experience trying the Polaroid free software for scratch removal was
good. I'd want to test it further before
planning to use it for a big project. I think it relies on color differences.
The one B&W image I tried it on didn't work.

Scratched and Dusty Moose