Re: [OM] IMG: The Fruit Sellers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Fruit Sellers
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 22:08:23 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> I agree one can do a few slides a minute. However, her Nikon does have a
> feeder, so she can be doing something else
> while the scanner works. Hand feeding a slide copier, you have to be
> there, alert and working every second. Her auto
> feeder will handle 50 slides at once, so one only need drop by every 2-3
> hours to put more slides in it to keep it going
> all day.

Yes, she can do 50 slides a time and load the feeder may be 5 times a day,
then she gets 250 slides a day. I can do 180 slides an hour, after two hours
I finish 360 slides and can go anywhere I wanted :-)

>>> Also, I would not use flash, having it go off right next to me over and
>>> over and over again would be awful. I used one
>>> of those inexpensive, 4x5" light 'tables'. Much easier on my eyes in any
>>> case, and one may mask it to just the needed
>>> area, so there' no glare.
>> Inexpensive light tables do not have high color rendering index light
>> source
>
> I compared slides shot with this light source and 5D to the same slides
> scanned with my Canon scanner, as they are very,
> very close in color. That would be good enough for me. I did have to let
> the light warm up and stabilize for maybe 5-7
> minutes.

If you feel it is good enough then it is ok. My eyes are not that reliable,
I will try to use the known good equipment I have. I won't trust non
calibrated fluorescent lamp.

> That's fine. The repetitive flash, 2-3-4 times a minute would drive me
> crazy, and I would stop work. Any way of doing a
> project must be compatible with the one doing it. :-)   Flash might be
> fine for Tina, too, but I think she really needs
> to get the automated scanning process working.

I have no problem with flash fire besides me, I don't have to look at it,
just watch the image come out from the monitor.

> My limited experience trying the Polaroid free software for scratch
> removal was good. I'd want to test it further before
> planning to use it for a big project. I think it relies on color
> differences. The one B&W image I tried it on didn't work.

That's a good news, I think the software will becoming better, I'm not in
hurry.

C.H.Ling