Re: [OM] VueScan Documentation [was ] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal To

Subject: Re: [OM] VueScan Documentation [was ] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal Tool, was: The Fruit Sellers]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:22:05 -0500
As I followed your link I eventually realized that I was confusing TWAIN
and WIA which I have always thought were different terms for the same
function with WIA being the later development.  Not completely so
although Microsoft says WIA contains a TWAIN subset.  The first bit of
info is here which makes it clear that they are distinct facilities and
that the PSCS6 TWAIN plug-in is 32 bit only.

In Windows, the Photoshop TWAIN plug-in can be used if you run Photoshop
CS6 in 32-bit mode. TWAIN is not supported in Photoshop when it’s run in
64-bit mode. If you need a scanning solution when you run Photoshop CS6
in 64-bit mode, use the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) interface for
your device, if it’s available. WIA is also available for use when
running Photoshop in 32-bit mode. Contact your scanner manufacturer for
more information.

Then, since TWAIN is 32 bit only we have this answer from Epson about
how to import 64 bit images into PhotoShop which is to use WIA instead
of TWAIN.  But that also comes with a very serious caveat.  Although WIA
supports 64 bit it's not full function.  In particular no film scanning
since the transparency unit is not supported in WIA.  But WIA does make
it easy to import scans from paper documents into PhotoShop directly
from Epson Scan

Use the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) from the File > Import menu to
import images from the scanner.

Note: The WIA driver does not offer all the features and control
provided by the Epson Scan driver. It also does not support scanner
options such as a Transparency Unit (TPU) for film scanning or an Auto
Document Feeder.

These things explain a lot of mysteries I encountered with CS5 (after
CS3) and would have encountered in CS6 had you not brought it to my
attention.  Thanks.

Chuck Norcutt