Re: [OM] VueScan Documentation [was ] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal To

Subject: Re: [OM] VueScan Documentation [was ] Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal Tool, was: The Fruit Sellers]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:19:20 -0800
Well, I hope the educational value of the last 45 min. is high.

Canon does offer a WIA driver for the 9950F for both 32 & 64 bit, up through
Vista, so far. They also offer TWAIN
drivers, 32 & 64 bit, through Win 7, oddly enough higher than for WIA drivers.

So I tried installing the Vista32 WIA driver. Had to restart, then PS
recognized it under the File=>Import=>WIA
Support. BUT!

- PS took forever to load. I don't know if this is a first time thing, but it
was painful. I was opening other apps and
doing things while I waited for it. I didn't try loading it again for the
following reasons.

- The WIA driver interface and functions are woefully less complete than the
TWAIN driver.

- Installation of the WIA driver replaces the TWAIN driver. You can't have both
at once.

- The CanoScan Toolbox, which I use for things like scan and OCR, doesn't
recognize WIA, and can't do anything.

I had to use Device manager to uninstall the WIA driver. Didn't allow TWAIN to
install the first time. Uninstall the
second time with the "Delete software" box checked. Then TWAIN installed
properly, PS loads quickly, CanoScan works
again and I have the full range of scanning controls back.

One benefit of all this is that I know a TWAIN driver exists for Win7, and
that's what I will install, along with the
PSCS6 TWAIN plug-in. If CS7 discontinues it, I can still use CanoScan to scan
and forward the file to PS. Hmmm ...
Perhaps that's a solution to 64 bit PS, passing a scan from a 32 bit app to 64
bit PS.

Whether this info is of any use to anyone else here, at least it will be an
info resource for me when I get my Win7
machine. ;-)

Never The Twain Moose