Re: [OM] While I was sleeping . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] While I was sleeping . . .
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:46:36 -0800
On 11/13/2012 8:46 PM, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> One of my former students contacted me about a repair on her Olympus
> e-something digital SLR and I went to the Olympus site to get an address for
> her
> and also to see what they were currently offering in refurbs.  The answer
> for DSLR was the e-5.
>
> Have they actually declared they are totally getting out of the DSLR
> business or that the e-5 is the end of the line?

More or less, yes. Remember, Oly is in flux internally. But the latest
statement I saw seemed to say in a round about
way that no more 4/3 development will happen. Whether there might be an E-7 far
enough along in development to produce,
I imagine nobody outside Oly knows.

I'm sure they envisioned a long line of future 4/3 bodies, especially
considering the big stable of lenses they
produced. But business needs to make a profit. My guess is that like the
OM-4T(i), E-5s will be for sale for many years
from a stack of unsold units. If that's the case, it seems unlikely they would
spend more than a small amount to bring a
new body to market.

> I haven't been paying much attention, however knowing the e-5 is the best
> it is ever going to be does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Sorry, Dood. :-( Maybe the E-7 is so close that they will decide to bring it
out and dump a bunch of E-5s. If it's
great, it would deplete their unsold stock of 4/3 lenses. Don't hols your
breath.

Ya gotta believe all their development money is in µ4/3. After many years, they
have a really hot camera, and that must
feel good. I suspect the E-PL5 may be a hit, too. They are going to try to
build on that success.

Bad News Moose