[OM] Future camera lens design/manufacturing technique ???

Subject: [OM] Future camera lens design/manufacturing technique ???
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 07:12:08 -0500
 From the link below:
"The eye’s own lens actually bends light continuously as it passes
through, something called “GRIN”, or gradient refractive index optics.
To make more perfect artificial replacement lenses, researchers from
Case Western Reserve University, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology,
U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, and PolymerPlus (Valley View, Ohio) have
created technology that allows the stacking of tens of thousands of
ultra-thin layers of polymer to produce a continuous refractive gradient."

<http://medgadget.com/2012/11/artificial-eye-lenses-made-to-reproduce-optical-qualities-of-natural-ones.html>

I'm also wondering if this can be done with 3D printers.

I recently read a report that said future 3D printers could possibly
produce complex multi-part products already "assembled" as they come off
the printer since the technology and materials are advancing rapidly.
Such technology could dramatically reduce the cost of some products that
presently depend on low cost Chinese labor for assembly.  That would
spell trouble for China and others.  I at first thought that was an
overstatment until I wondered if it was possible to produce a complete
camera lens on a 3D printer.  I thought at first that a meshing helical
assembly of inner and outer barrels couldn't be done.  But a few minutes
thought convinced me otherwise.  I think the entire assembly including
plastic lens elements can be done.  So, what will the manufacturing
world look like in 10-15 years?

Chuck Norcutt