Re: [OM] Art

Subject: Re: [OM] Art
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:30:22 -0800
On 11/14/2012 2:31 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> ... Solomon is a talented
> biographer — I thoroughly enjoyed “Utopia Parkway” — but she completely
> missed the point of Curtis’s life when she referred to him as a great
> artist.

Further to my last, and more specific, this may well be a valid criticism as to
the central meaning of his life,
especially to himself.

> Though galleries try to promote Curtis’s work as art, it’s really
> more ethnographic photography. While Curtis obviously had a strong
> aesthetic sensibility, the intention behind his work was documentation of a
> vanishing race.

As I just said, it is entirely possible to create objects with one purpose,
which may or not be successfully
accomplished - and the resulting objects may well be art to others.

As it happens, Curtis' work does strike me as more photographic ethnography
(partial, in that it is all posed) than art.
That doesn't mean it couldn't be art to others.

> You can create art only when it’s your intention to do so.

Bosh!

> RICHARD POLSKY
> Sausalito, Calif.
> *The writer is the author of “The Art Prophets: The Artists, Dealers, and
> Tastemakers Who Shook the Art World.”

Clearly a person with a personal interest in "Art" as definable, valuable
commodity. Hardly a neutral position on small
'a' art. I can see why he would not consider it "Art" in his Art World.

Moose d'Opinion