Re: [OM] (OM) Pecha Kucha art talk

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Pecha Kucha art talk
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 03:43:39 +1300
Thanks for all the kind words and best wishes.

http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/2012/pecha-kucha.htm

It went very well. I timed the delivery precisely. Of course (for me) my mind
blocked out hearing most reaction from the audience while I was mentally
focussed on what I was doing, but on several occasions ( especially the
picture of the cemetery that they mostly all has seen before - but not through
my eyes) I heard audible intakes of breath - so something worked.

Some were almost as they came out of the camera (all E-3 I think), others
were discards until I rescued them with FastStone. Like the E-3, FastStone
takes a little while to learn to get the best out of.

Chris B, I included one image of the cliffs because if, as I was and am, the
topic of this gorge is to be dealt with photographically, they must be attended
to. They are an important feature, and something not met with in most
scenes one sees around New Zealand.

But they are a challenge, and I never seem to be able to get them in sharp
focus. And I have not figured out what lighting is best for them.

I've seen where other people made pictures of stark reality that aren't
particularly pretty, so I thought I'd give that style a shot.

Yes, probably I should have had my camera with me on the day that Young
Lane was shot. Sometimes I don't out of concern that it might get stolen
from the car while parked, or if I'm on a quick short trip. Maybe I'm paranoid
about theft ...

Considering that what I presented was representational art in the midst of 8
presentations, many of which were nearly pure imaginings, I think I put
photography in a good light. I would have liked to see what the 65+ (my
head-count) audience saw. I was off to the side and couldn't get a good
view.

I also made a few good contacts.

Brian Swale.