Re: [OM] Fine old b&w street photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Fine old b&w street photography
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:10:32 -0600
I've been stewing on the Vivian Maier photographs. There are several
aspects which are intriguing.

1. Total loner. Other than these mystery photographs she has
essentially disappeared off the face of the earth without anybody
noticing.

2. The photographs show a sense of irony. I like that. She seemed to
do irony well.

3. Almost every photographer probably has a gold mine of photographs
when viewed under a different magnifying glass. The normal becomes
"art" when it is redefined into something greater than it really is.
Will anyone curate my files 20 years after I'm scattered? Is the story
her photographs or is the story really about her?

4. I want to study the parallels with our own Tiny Manley. One was
able to document a single area over a long period of time with no
intent of sharing. The other has documented many areas over both short
and long periods of time with the intent of sharing (selling). As one
is a commercial venture and the other just personal satisfaction,
should we value one body of work over the other? How about somebody
like me that treads somewhere in the middle where some stuff is for
profit and the other stuff is strictly personal. Should my personal
stuff elevate higher than the intended work?

5. Was Vivian Maier essentially the equivalent to a hoarder? She shot
many pictures through the years but hoarded them to herself.

6. How many Thesis will be written about her and her photography?

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx