Re: [OM] OM-2 Mirror lock-up problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2 Mirror lock-up problem
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 20:34:42 -0800
On 11/21/2012 7:30 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Cam all set up to go  but locked up when loading film with body cap
> on--thought it a fluke or battery issue.
> With film loaded seemed OK for a couple shots then locked every 2nd or
> 3rd shot but next one always OK.  Batteries weren't new
> and checked the voltage--one 1.5 and the 2nd 1.55.  CLA this year so
> should be generally  OK.  Batteries are 303/357 multi-drain--usually
> use just the high drain 357 and I have a bunch of them but these were
> in the cam
> so I left them.  It never was fussy before.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Almost certainly the batteries. The symptoms are exactly right. Fine on low
drain tester or battery check light. Fine if
one takes only a shot every few minutes. Take 2-3 in a row, fairly quickly, and
the ability to deliver sufficient
current to operate shutter without voltage dropping too far isn't there. The
camera protects the user by locking up,
figuring, I suppose, that knowing you can't get a proper exposure is better
than ignorant bliss  - and a bunch of bad film.

Terribly deceptive. Take the batteries out, clean them and contacts, etc., and
now it works! But only because of the
rest time while you fool around with them. Can you tell I've been there? :-)

I was concerned this might be the case when the 303/357s came out and I looked
at the spec sheet.

Do I recall that they later came out with a 357/303, with drain curve much like
the old 357s and less internal
resistance than the 303/357? I see the batteries I keep in a drawer, rather
than seldom used cameras, all say 357/303,
but the rest my be my imagination.

Battery Powered Moose