[OM] IMG: Thursday Flowers

Subject: [OM] IMG: Thursday Flowers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 09:49:25 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Yesterday (Wednesday) I took another hike into a recent wildfire area to
set up additional USFS photopoints for erosion and recovery documentation.  I
didn't take a tripod with me as I did not anticipate finding any vegetation
worthy of close attention, but I did manage to find a carpet of Thicket Creeper
(Parthenocissus vitacea) that was growing at a seep along a bank that had
previously been obscured by shrubs and small trees:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8208029771/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8208028503/in/photostream/

     This plant is not commonly found in Sonoran chaparral regions, but I now
know of two places here where it can be observed.

     I also came across a number of specimens of Manyflowered Ipomopsis
(Ipomopsis multiflora) and took the opportunity to take some closeups, even
though I lacked a tripod to compensate for the long exposure times required for
the low light level:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8207997167/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8209087784/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8207997505/in/photostream/

     I had seen this plant once before, but that spot had been obliterated by
the fire and the subsequent flash flooding.

     There may be more, as I came across a willow that was regenerating from
the stump of a heavily burned specimen.  I did not recognize it, and we have a
dozen or more species in this state.  It may turn out to be Pacific Willow,
which I have never encountered before, and I need to have it verified by the
curator of the ASU Herbarium.

Chris