Re: [OM] IMG: Monday Butterfly (and now a 'choke)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Monday Butterfly (and now a 'choke)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:33:00 -0800
On 11/26/2012 4:01 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
>       I was out wildflower hunting again today, and after being exhausted
> from scrambling up 50-degree slopes I came to a rest at the base of a 15-foot
> pouroff in a wash, where I came across this butterfly:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8221556207/in/photostream
>
>       He put on quite a floor show, dancing around in the sunlight to make it
> difficult to get a good, clear photo.  Now I come to find that he doesn't
> appear in any of my field guides, so I'm hoping someone will recognize the
> species of this colourful fellow.

I'm curious, too. Far from scrambling about difficult desert slopes, I was
wandering the Coastal Maine Botanic Gardens
in Boothbay Harbor with Carol, Bob & Joan, when we saw several of these.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/Maine/Coastal_Maine_Botanic_Garden&image=_9150911croof30.jpg>

Some tiny variations, but sure looks like the same species to me. The body
stripes aren't obvious in the best shot, but
are very clear in another specimen at different angle/light in this slightly
less clear shot.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/Maine/Coastal_Maine_Botanic_Garden&image=_9150884rot90croofm.jpg>

It seems to me they had some pictures there as a guide, and something very like
this was labeled as a moth. Didn't seem
likely to me, but I'm far, far from expert. We meant to ask, but ...

As I recall, we also saw them in other places in Mass and Maine.

Did someone tell someone else that artichokes are thistles here recently?
Here's a nice proof.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/Maine/Coastal_Maine_Botanic_Garden&image=_9150861oof50.jpg>

Choke A Moose