Re: [OM] OM-D and related matters

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D and related matters
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:57:21 -0500
My 6-1/2 year old Canon 5D has never has any sort of screen protector
and looks just fine.  I'm sure there must be micro scratches on the
surface but nothing obvious even with my close up reading glasses on.
The lack of scratches leads me to believe the screen cover must be glass
and not plastic.

Lithium-ion batteries are potentially subject to fire or explosion if
overcharged or short circuited. It's also a bit sobering to realize that
a lithium-ion fire may be cooled with water but not extinguished with
water.  Overcharge protection is a function of both a good quality
charger with some built-in intelligence and a battery that has a
computer chip to monitor its own charge state and temperature and the
ability to shut off the charge if necessary.  These chips are expensive
and cheap batteries may simply substitute a resistor.  Camera brand
batteries are outrageously expensive so it has been my own practice to
purchase a well known battery brand (such as Duracell) or perhaps a
house brand (like whatever B&H sells).  B&H (for example) are well
enough known and make enough money to become a lawsuit target if their
products cause safety problems.  That's no guarantee of safe lithium-ion
batteries since both Apple and Sony have had problems with lithium-ion
battery fires in laptops.  However, I think you've got a better chance
with a well known brand than with a $4 battery from ebay sourced from an
unknown Chinese supplier.

Duracell makes batteries for lots of cameras but they can be hard to
find.  You can purchase direct here: <http://www.duracelldirect.com/>
I didn't find the OM-D E-M5 here unless it uses the same battery as one
of the E-PL cameras.

Chuck Norcutt