Re: [OM] IMGs: Tuesday Flowers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Tuesday Flowers
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:28:36 -0700

> >      Could you provide a photo or two of those modified tripods?
>
> http://www.image66media.com/page10.html
>

> >      Something I didn't think of until now was to spread the 3001 legs
>
> The 3001 is actually quite modifiable. The push-button spreader stops
> prevent the legs from going too wide. But a few minutes with a Dremel
> or file will knock down some of the stop enough to widen the stance.
> Of course, this means that the tripod will end up shortening a bit,
> but if you are into low-level photography, modifying the 3001 leg
> stops is a must-do. Mine are done so that I can also go past the stop
> and invert the legs.
>
> Any tripod with the center-column will probably require a
> columnectomy. It's too long if you have the legs spread out too far,
> so whacking off some of the length may be required. However, one
> little trick I use with my inverting legs is to invert two of the legs
> and leave the third one on the standard tall position. This will lean
> the tripod over and will put the column at an angle.

    Ah, yes.  I see some nice ideas there.  The column proper on the 3001 is
just under 1" diameter, so I could make a short temporary column from 1"
aluminum bar stock attached to a 234RC tilt head by way of a 3/8-16 stud.  I
have one of those attached to a home-made ground spike and a second one
that's part of the 3420 lens support.  That will also let me leave the QR
shoe on the camera, which will be very convenient.

    Oh!!  I just had a neat idea!  I'll make something slightly different
along those lines and put a photo on my Flickr account.

    BTW:  How many cartoon madcap inventors can you name?  There are at
least five.

Chris