Re: [OM] E-M5 Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 Questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:33:21 -0500
I think you'll find it difficult to compete with the ease of use of the
12-150mm range of a pair of mft zooms.  Since it's not likely you have
anything shorter than that the only consideration on the short end might
be some fast(er) primes (and most things are faster than the mft zooms).
  I'd also keep a couple long primes if you have them.  The 200/4,
300/4.5 might be useful.  Longer than that probably gets into usability
problems with equivalent focal length over 600mm.

I don't have an EM-5 (yet) but I find that the T-32 goes very well with
my Canon 5D.  I have a Canon 540-EZ which was the cat's meow for film
era TTL flash but in only works manual mode on a digital.  Nice for that
since it has a 7-stop manual control.  So I use that if I think I'm
going to be working slowly and deliberately and have time to prepare a
manual flash exposure.  It also has a power zoom head good for 24-105mm.
  But if I'm shooting people at a gathering inside or out I'll choose
the T-32 so I can shoot it in normal auto mode either as the main light
or (more likely) daylight fill flash.  It does very well in the 6-10
foot range.  No TTL needed.  The T-32's drawback is that it only has 2
manual power ranges.  That's where the Canon 540-EZ comes back into the
picture.

I don't know much about the details of the F-280.  I think the drawback
is that it wouldn't be usable in it's two main modes which is Super FP
flash mode and OTF TTL mode.  Nothing but certain OM film cameras have
the necessary controls.  Then you're left with manual mode only and with
a 28 meter guide number.  Less power than a T-32 which also gives normal
auto mode.  I'd move it on and get a T-32 for about $20-30.  I don't
know about the F-280 but the T-32 plays nice with other cameras by
picking its TTL feet up in the air so they don't conflict with a more
modern camera's control contacts.  I've also used Sunpak 422Ds (with Oly
TTL feet) to good effect on the Canon.  Not as powerful as a T-32 but
good auto mode and 5 or 6 stop power level control.  I also have a
potato masher Sunpak 622 (with Oly TTL control head) but I've rarely
used it.  Too big and not enough extra power to compensate.

Chuck Norcutt