Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:23:53 -0500
A friend of mine was recently considering a heat pump using a water
based heat exchanger to be sunk in a deep well in his back yard.  He
sounded very keen on it a few months ago and I thought he was going to
do it.  But my wife spoke to his wife yesterday on the phone and she
told her he had decided on a conventional gas furnace to replace their
30 year old oil furnace.  That also required bringing a gas line from
the street into their house.  I haven't spoken to him so don't know the
relative costs of it all or why he abandoned the heat pump.

But, denier or worrier, the fact that Britain produces only a small
fraction of the earth's anthropogenically produced CO2 while the US (and
especially now China) produce the bulk of it makes me call you
financially impractical.  Even if all of Britain did what you're doing
it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.  The entire world will
have to reduce total energy consumption by about 80% in order to make a
dent in the (assumed) temperature by the time the silly (and never
proven correct) computer models predict fire and brimstone.

Britain will probably be flooded before long with low cost gas from
fracking.  Before you spend a lot of money on other than a gas heating
device I urge you to read this (I've even found Amazon UK for you)
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illusion-Climategate-Corruption-Science-Independent/dp/1906768358/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354147855&sr=1-1>

  You'll probably end up knowing much more than you want to about
Principal Components Analysis but otherwise is not terribly
mathematical.  Montford is an exellent author and detective.  If you're
ill by the time you finish it I'll not be surprised.

Chuck Norcutt