Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:50:08 -0800
> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'm considering changing my oil-fired boiler (central heating and hot water)
> for an air-source heat pump; does anyone on the List have any experience or
> first-hand knowledge about such systems and their effectiveness?

I forget where you live. These heat pumps don't do well with low temperatures
-- they basically go into backup mode of electrical resistance heating elements.

But they're ideal for places with mild winters, because such places often have
hot summers, and the heat pump is also an air conditioner.

I had one for nine years in a suburb of Portland, Oregon -- an ideal climate
for them. Worked great; no problems.

:::: I will not be as those who spend the day in complaining of headache, and
the night in drinking the wine that gives it. -- Johann Wolfgang von Göthe