[OM] OT - Air source heat pumps and related matters

Subject: [OM] OT - Air source heat pumps and related matters
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:41:26 +0000
   Chris Barker wrote
<The new condensing boilers have a hard time because of the recirculating gases,
 which are corrosive, I understand, hence their shorter life.  Some gas boilers
over here are lasting less than 10 years.

I don't have a connection to mains gas, and getting one is a strange, obscure an
d complicated process.  Our oil tank is too close to the house for modern buildi
ng regulations so a heat pump is looking attractive for its relative simplicity
as well as all for all the Government's incentives.>

Talking to the engineer who last serviced our eleven year old condensing gas boi
ler, I understand that spares are not a problem for our model but that some chea
per models are failing in less than ten years and spares are no longer available
..

I know nothing of air sourced heat pumps but have watched with interest as a nei
ghbour along the street installed a ground source heat pump system.  I believe t
he first set of  deepish bore holes did not meet up appropriately and remedial w
ork was required.  Also, solar water and electric generation panels were fitted
on their roof, and I understand the installer did not check at the tender stage
that the existing (but new) roof structure was strong enough without further str
engthening work!

The motto seems to be that it is necessary to be an intelligent purchaser and no
t assume that the installer of a newish technology has thought of all the possib
le snags without prompting.

The latter should not be a problem for Chris who could fly fast jets and live :-
) .

   Brian