Re: [OM] The Low Down on Down Low [was Tuesday Flowers]

Subject: Re: [OM] The Low Down on Down Low [was Tuesday Flowers]
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:23:36 -0700

> Here we have one tripod, with small ball head, and one camera, no extras,
accessories
> or modifications. Is that low enough for you?
><http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&ima
ge=IMG_1116croofm.jpg>

> It's a Manfrotto 190cxpro3.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548524-REG/Manfrotto_190CXPRO3_190CXP
RO3_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html>

> They make various models with the same center column design. Pull it all
the way up,
> pushing a little button at the end of travel, and it goes sideways.  Legs
lock at four
> angles, including, as you can see, flat. Leg length uses flip locks.  CF
and magnesium,
> so it's light and doesn't support vibrations.

    Just got back from looking at one of these, plus a few more items.  That
column does not extend far enough horizontally to suit me, plus it will not
go beyond horizontal.

    Earlier today I was looking at some seldom used items in my storage room
and came across a pair of monopods.  One is a Velbon UP-4DX, which has a
quick release tilt head and a retractable ground spike.  I also have a
Promaster 1100 that can serve just as well if I add the 234RC head to it.  I
thought about it for a while, then dashed down to the metals supplier and
bought some aluminum bar stock.  I'm going to make a 2-piece saddle that
will clamp to the middle leg section of one of these and which will attach
to a Manfrotto QR shoe.  That will give me a cheap telescoping boom that can
be used as a monpod, and with the 1100 also used as a hiking staff.

Chris