Re: [OM] IMG: Monday Butterfly (and now a 'choke)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Monday Butterfly (and now a 'choke)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:58:16 -0800
On 11/26/2012 6:15 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I don't know what it is either but you and your E-M5 surely do a nice
> job.  Which x-150mm lens is this again?

The M.Z 14-150. It's by far my most used lens, and I'm quite impressed with it.

On 11/28/2012 2:33 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I think you'll find it difficult to compete with the ease of use of the
> 12-150mm range of a pair of mft zooms.

If you like changing lenses, sure. Maybe it's reminiscent of the 'old days'.
The 12-50 is an excellent lens and 40-150
is fine. But I've always thought lens changing is a waste of time, and a good
way to miss the shot.

I have the M.Z 9-18, 12-50, 14-150, 40-150 and 75-300 lenses.  There is method
to at least some of my madness. We often
travel for over a month at a time, plan on more travel, and I wanted
redundancy, so the loss of any one lens wouldn't be
a problem. That's why I also have my 5¢ E-PL1 along. (The E-PL5 looks really
nice for a back-up, later.)

Because of a B&H special on top of an Oly rebate, the 40-150 cost only $100.
That is cheap peace of mind, but the truth
is that I haven't used it since a few early test shots. It travels in luggage,
but not in the field. It's there in case
the 14-150 disappears, dies, etc.

And the way it has worked out, the 12-50 is in the field bag, but only comes
out for bad weather or macro that the close
focus @ 150 mm of the 14-150 can't do - pretty seldom. Most anything I can
shoot with the 12-50 @ 12 mm, I can get with
two shots of the 14-150 and a stitch.

The 'extremes' lenses, 9-18 and 75-300, both came via refurb/demo sales at
Cameta. I love the extra reach of the 75-300,
but still have things to learn about technique in using it at the long end. The
9-18 is relatively new to me, having
become available at the right price while I was traveling and awaiting me at
home when I returned, a bit burned out on
regular, often intensive, daily photography. I did find the Canon 10-22 useful
on APS, so I expect to find it useful,
too, but less so than the 75-300.

14 to 150 Moose