Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:56:15 -0600
> Everything you've mentioned below is simply a symptom of warming and
> says absolutely nothing about its cause.

Well, yes and no. It says that the global air and water currents are
changing. Again, I think there is some symbiosis involved, but I think
the warming is a result of the current changes. What is causing the
current changes? I think that the current changes are result of more
localized triggers that alter things on a global scale.

An example of this would be the calving of B-15. There are a few of us
that are wondering just how much effect on the global warming slowdown
over the past decade has been a result of B-15. The net-positive in
cooling effect has been amazing. Granted, it did screw up the food
chain a little bit as all the critters had to move around. The "sky is
falling" people are claiming that all ice calving is bad, but each
time it happens, we see that the Earth is a much more complex system
than anybody ever expected.

> Is this comforting?  No.  The climate is certainly warming (so far) but
> we really don't know the cause and would likely have little or no
> control over it even if we did.  Just hope it doesn't revert soon to
> cooling which is much worse.

Oceans rising 20 feet can be addressed with bigger dikes and
technology and a gradual move from the old city centers to new city
centers up the hill a bit. That's actually pretty normal, anyway. And
China has shown, with the construction of the dam, that you CAN move
entire cities. Sure, the people are saddened about lost memories, but
they settle into their new homes with all the modern features. We
could have built an all-new New Orleans in a different location for
what it has cost us to rebuild it where it's at.

On the flip side, having to deal with another round of glaciers
sliding across North America wouldn't be very fun. Chicago wouldn't be
able to find enough dead people to vote against a mile-high ice sheet.

On a positive note, it would be a great time to be selling skis.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx