Re: [OM] The Mighty have Fallen (in price)

Subject: Re: [OM] The Mighty have Fallen (in price)
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 11:24:18 +0100
Hi Jeff and all,

From: "List, OM" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Perhaps my Tamron 60-300 isn't up to the performance of the typical lens. I
>had both the 60-300 Tamron and the 50-250 Zuiko out shooting geese. The
>results I got from the 60-300 were noticeably inferior to the 50-250.

I tried a Tamron SP 60-300. While the results were pretty good, I found it
somewhat  slow and big. My tele-zoom lens for many years was the similarly
styled SP 70-210/3.5 (model 19AH) but handling was a big issue, despite its
excellent quality and decent speed...

Eventually, both got replaced by a less-known Tamron: the 75-250/3.8-4.5
(model 104A, an update from the older 04A). It's what some people call
"semi-constant aperture" (it keeps at f/3.8 up to 180-200mm) and it's
roughly the same size and weight of the 19AH, however it feels *much*
better in my hand. Sharpness decreases a bit when wide open at the longest
setting, but still performs nicely and at any comparable aperture is as
every bit as good as the SP 60-300 -- if not better!

I borrowed a classic Zuiko 85-250 recently... the images do have a
different character, "stronger" than the 75-250, although at 250 shows some
strange (albeit moderate) aberrations. Overall, *excellent* performance,
which might be easier to get with such a limited aperture... but build
quality is *superb*, and the tripod ring is a big plus.

No experience with the Zuiko 50-250, though. I tried a 65-200 a while ago
(with no sign of cloudy/separated element) and was underwhelmed by it.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)