Re: [OM] MM files disected

Subject: Re: [OM] MM files disected
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 11:44:22 +0100
Hi Tina and all,

http://blog.leica-camera.com/photographers/blog-contributors/fegor-a-fetishists-guide-to-the-monochrom-part3/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LeicaCamera+%28Leica+Camera+Blog%29

>>If you accidentally *overexpose* a shot, the M9 will
>>allow you to recover some highlight details that the Monochrom
>>will not. If you accidentally*underexpose* a shot, the Monochrom
>>will allow you to extract much more shadow detail than the M9.

Not sure if it has anything to do with this but, according to my
experience, the M8 is able to recover much more detail from _underexposed_
shots than from overexposed ones. This one had the exposure compensation
"accidentally" set at -2, then adjusted in ACR:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/6991815884/lightbox/> (Nokton 50/1.1)

OK, there's a noticeable loss of shadow detail, and the noise (very much
film-grain-like, anyway) is relatively strong, but the picture captured the
scene well, IMHO.

Another example, this time *without* the help of ACR -- DNG converted to
16-bit TIFF in OS X's Preview app, cranked up exposure there and finally
converted to JPEG: <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4874876963/lightbox/> (Skopar 50/2.5)

This time, the "clumsy" photographer overlooked the severe backlighting :-)
:-) but I like how texures were rendered anyway. Gotta love that Kodak
sensor!

I believe the reason is the way the sensor's signals are digitized for the
DNG file: only 8-bit, but coded in a NON-LINEAR fashion, increasing the
tonal resolution in the shadows at the expense of the highlights. Maybe the
MM uses a more aggressive approach to this...

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)