Re: [OM] OT - Air source heat pumps and related matters

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Air source heat pumps and related matters
From: Rob Harrison <robhar54@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:55:21 -0800
There are electric air-to-water heat pumps, but whether you can use them
will depend on the kind of radiators you already have installed. We have
fin-tube radiators in our 1950 house, which require a higher temperature
water than the air-to-water heat pumps can produce, so we ended up with a
new gas boiler. Our existing boiler was kaput and we are into the cold
weather, and our house is brick which complicates adding additional
exterior insulation, and we need new windows too to make it all work, or I
would have more seriously considered a Passivhaus retrofit.

Where are you Chris? I have some Passive House colleagues in Ireland who
might be able to hook you up with a local person. Actually, try contacting
these folks: http://passivehouseacademy.com Ask for Tomas or Bob.

Rob in Seattle