Re: [OM] Early impressions

Subject: Re: [OM] Early impressions
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 19:22:52 -0600
I've met three types of model railroaders over the years.  There are the
guys who are so completely focused on prototype operations that their
scenery is mostly cardboard buildings and green spray paint, but their
trackwork is immaculate and they have totally prototypical operating
sessions; then there are the guys who are, like this guy, completely
focused on phenomenal scenery and running trains is just something to do
through that gorgeous scenery; and then there are those that balance both.
That's more where our club falls.

I don't have the skills or the patience to accomplish what that guy did.
Eventually I'll have a small N scale layout at home to give me an option to
the HO stuff we run at the club.

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > OK, since there seems to be so much model railroading interest here, I'll
> > post this link. The guy's interest is in scenery and photography. It's
> the
> > most realistic scenery that I've ever seen in model railroading. There
> are
> > some awesome photos throughout the 84 pages in the thread.
> >
> > http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25919&page=1
>

> Thanks a lot! Way to make me feel really inferior. That guy is
> over-the-top.  I'm WAAAAAAAY too ADHD to get into that kind of model
> railroading. I'm more into the operations side of things.
>
> Actually, lately, I've gotten back into doing FSX flying a lot. I've
> set up some cargo runs using a Cessna Caravan. No GPS, just straight
> 100% IFR stuff. I set the minimums down to the point where most
> mortals would be buying plots. Crazy stunts like nighttime NDB
> approaches to unlit fields in 1/4 mile visibilities and 50 foot
> ceilings with 30 knot crosswinds and huge obstacles off the runway end
> forcing you to come in at a steep angle.
>
> Once in a while I actually survive.
>
> --
> Ken Norton
> ken@xxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.zone-10.com
> --

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard