Re: [OM] Software suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Software suggestions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 13:44:40 -0500
Everyone it telling you Lightroom despite your statement that you don't
want to be forced into a filing system.  I've had 3 versions of
Lightroom but have never really made use of it because the very first
thing is wants to do is "import" my many tens of thousands of images
from a file structure I have known and loved for many years (works for
me).  I bought Tina's recommended book on Lightroom thinking maybe it
would finally make clear something about library structure for Lightroom.

But I was astounded that there is hardly any discussion at all of
library structure except for the warnings I anticipated and was afraid
of... (my rephrasing, not a quote) *DO NOT* delete from, add to or
reorder the physical storage structure of the image database *without
going through Lightroom*.  That makes perfect sense if you *only* use
Lightroom but also means that you can't add or delete things with
PhotoShop or anything else outside the Lightroom world without leaving
Lightroom unaware of and needing to be updated to the changes.

Someone has told me (on this list and maybe more than once) that
Lightroom can use my existing structure but I don't really know how to
to that nor do I know how to work around the *do it only through
Lightroom* problem.

Chuck Norcutt