[OM] Another tidbit from the Epson scanner list

Subject: [OM] Another tidbit from the Epson scanner list
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 14:45:51 -0500
   FYI. Discussion of something I've never heard of... reciprocity failure
   localized to individual color layers within film.
   Chuck Norcutt
   > ... scanning negs is a tricky process! I'm guessing your problem is
   > color curve crossover. That is (if I understand the term), you have
   > different color casts at different density levels; for example,
   neutrals
   > are too blue in the shadows and too yellow in the highlights. I
   believe
   > this happens mostly with negs that are nearly over- or underexposed,
   where
   > their individual color layers' sensitivities do not track so closely
   > (essentially a localized form of reciprocity failure). It can also
   happen
   > when an autoexposure or autolevels operation forces the lowest and
   highest
   > values for each color channel to zero and full saturation,
   respectively,
   > even though that might be inappropriate for a specific image's
   content. A
   > single-point or blanket color tweak will not fix this. You will
   probably
   > have to judiciously nudge multiple points on each color channel curve
   > fix this. Try using shadow, midrange, and highlight eyedroppers in
   Levels
   > (or its scan software equivalent) as a starting point, carefully
   selecting
   > neutrals for each sample.
   __._,_.___
   New Topic [5]Messages in this topic (4)
   Recent Activity:
     * [6]New Members 5

   [7]Visit Your Group
   [8]Yahoo! Groups
   Switch to: [9]Text-Only, [10]Daily Digest â?¢ [11]Unsubscribe â?¢ [12]Terms
   of Use â?¢ [13]Send us Feedback
   .

   [cid:part15.04020204.09080703@chucknorcutt.com]