[OM] Vuescan foibles

Subject: [OM] Vuescan foibles
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 09:46:36 -0600
As some of my friends on Facebook have discovered, last night was a
little productive in the scanning department. (Do note, that the FB
images are deliberately dumbed down because Facebook reserves the
right to steal anything posted... What Facebook doesn't steal,
somebody else will).

An interesting (to me) thing happened. As I was working one of the
scans, I was running into some serious curves difficulties. My scan
turned into a dismal mess. I popped a reference slide in the scanner
and couldn't get ANYTHING to come out right. So, I did what we never
do (besides RTFM) and reset to default settings. It took me a minute
to go in and correct a few specific settings, but that did the trick.
Fujichrome, Ektachrome or Kodachrome - it did not matter. My scans
were back to working right again.

Default is our friend.

BTW, one thing to watch out for. On the last tab in Vuescan is the
anti-aliasing feature. There are two such settings, one for text and
the other for image. The image one is handy when you are scanning a
half-tone picture. But the problem I've encountered is that it can
soften the image. I turn these off.

AG

--
Ken Norton