Re: [OM] OT - Air source heat pumps and related matters

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Air source heat pumps and related matters
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:52:36 -0800
>   Interesting but I hope they're putting in a sprinkler system.
This has been a learning experience for all.

First of all a straw bale house is much more fire resistant than a
stick-framed house. Secondly, sprinkler systems aren't practical in many
rural settings. Water supply requirements are huge. The infrastructure
needed is very expensive. Plus that much water would cause the house to
be a write-off even with minimal fire damage.

This house is being built using traditional cob walls. (impervious to
fire)  Most problems around here with straw bale construction are caused
by traditional cement plaster inhibiting moisture movement through the
walls. The straw bales were sourced from a wheat farmer on the dry side
of the mountains and the moisture content is being closely monitored
with a meter designed for bales. So far well below 20%. I plan on
embedding wood blocks in the walls so I can easily continue to monitor
moisture content with my woodworking meter.

Typical construction around here where there isn't a guaranteed window
with no rain is post and beam with straw bale infill. This allows the
roof to be on before the bales arrive. The bales are not load bearing
which allows for a hybrid construction. e.g. interior walls are stick
framed as are hard to bale gable ends.

Here's a photo of us unloading the double semi load of bales. The kids
brought over a full load because the fixed costs were the same. So far
they have sold off most of the excess to help pay for the load. There is
a decent market for straw here on the island because of the cost of
importing it.

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/strawbale_house/unloading-the-bales2.jpg>

Most photos of progress are on my daughter's FB account. I'll ask her to
post a few for public viewing. She was going to do a blog but didn't
have time. Going to grad school, building a house and working doesn't
leave much time :) I'll post a few photos when I can.

Mike