Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Air-source Heat Pump?
From: Rob Harrison <robhar54@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 16:14:50 -0800
We are just now in the midst of an energy retrofit for our house that
includes replacing the 1973 gas conversion burner on the original 1950
boiler (50% efficient) and 1994 electric hot water tank with a new (95%
efficient) condensing boiler and indirect-fired hot water tank, as well as
air sealing and adding R-60 insulation to the attic, and new Energy-Star
refrigerators for us and our mother-in-law apartment. Through a local
program, Community Power Works, we were able to get a low-interest loan to
do the work. The loan is repaid on our City Light electric bill. The
savings we'll get will easily pay for the loan now, and we will be better
off as energy rates increase over the life of the loan. If we sell the
house, the loan can stay with the house. This gets around the whole "simple
payback" issue.

In my practice ground-source heat pumps rarely have made sense. Air-source
heat pumps are so much better (higher COPs) and less expensive these days.

Rob in Seattle