Re: [OM] Foggy Morning 12-3-12, #2

Subject: Re: [OM] Foggy Morning 12-3-12, #2
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:03:33 -0500
Chuck,

PMK is an awesome developer. I've been using it a lot the last few years,
and it has a different tonal rendering than normal developers. The
toxicity isn't too worrisome if you buy it as a prepackaged liquid, rather
than mixing your own from the raw chemicals (which are all powders, thus
easy to get airborne and into your lungs). I got the liquid kit from
Photographers Formulary. They sell a powder kit too, but I avoid it for
the same reasons I have for not making my own.

The liquids are only harmful by skin absorbsion or by drinking it. I wear
chemical resistant nitrile gloves and I keep a paper towel wrapped around
the developing tank n case any leaks out, so it won't splash on me when I
agitate. They do not give off harmful vapors, but just in case I work with
the kitchen window open for ventilation. I don't have any food or dishes
out when I develop the film, to prevent anything from splashing on them,
and I clean up carefully when done.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography