Re: [OM] (OM) More rose shots

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) More rose shots
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 05:21:24 -0500
I had not read this before but have to agree with Moose... time to shoot
raw and get rid of FastStone as an editor.  Note that the product name
is "FastStone Viewer".  Originally that's all it was.  FastStone started
as a near clone of BreezeBrowser.
<http://breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/index.htm> BreezeBrowser (as its
name also implies) is strictly a browser or viewer.  It does not edit
anything itself but allows passing images to other programs.  The
original FastStone did the same but eventually started going further
into red-eye removal, brightness adjustment, etc. and eventually became
a basic editor.  That's fine except that bending 8-bit pixel brightness
levels has severe limitations.  While FastStone can do raw conversions
you have no control at all during the conversion process.  The raw
converter will essentially reproduce (or attempt to) a version of the
same JPEG the camera would have produced.  No advantage to shooting raw
in that case.

For what you're trying to do you have discovered the limitations of
shooting JPEG.  You said: "I found that I could not easily desaturate
the saturated images, using FastStone, to match the natural saturation."
If you shot raw and did your basic pixel brightness manipulations in the
raw converter you wouldn't have this problem.

Chuck Norcutt