Re: [OM] PSTCRD: Paris as usual

Subject: Re: [OM] PSTCRD: Paris as usual
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:07:56 -0500
I've never understood those who like to brag about their computers which
haven't been rebooted in a very long time.  Pick a number... this
computer only makes a single bit error once in every 10**13 cycles.
Ummm, with a computer running at 3 Ghz it only take about 3 days to get
to 10**13 cycles.  Don't like 10**13.  Pick a bigger number and it will
get there eventually.  Of course it's likely only a single bit error but
of course it could be very significant if on the high order bit of a 64
bit number.

Sounds to me like your computer finally erroneously flipped a bit in
someplace where it caught your attention.  How may others has it flipped
that you haven't noticed?  My computer has 8GB of RAM which is dwarfed
by the 2TB of disk storage.  I know there have to be some flipped bits
in there but I'll not likely find them ever.

Since they're so expensive do you suppose Macs have ECC memory?
Probably not.

Chuck Norcutt (who religiously reboots his machines every day... whether
they need it or not).  :-)