Re: [OM] Trifles with Tripods, Part 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Trifles with Tripods, Part 1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:33:42 -0800
On 12/20/2012 5:20 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
> ... I tried improvising with a monopod clamped in a Manfrotto Super Clamp,
> but that was a disaster waiting for an opportunity to happen.

As I thought, but didn't want to inhibit a free thinker. :-)

> However, while rummaging in a thrift store I came across a Focal 20-08-41
> tripod, which consists of a less than adequate set of legs with a quick-rise
> column, a mediocre 3-way head, and a nicely designed tilting crank-up boom.
> I quickly made a new 1-piece base for the boom with a 3/8" threaded mounting
> hole, and the result, named Frankenpod 01, is to be seen here:
>
>       http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8292007631/in/photostream

That looks like a nice design - if I could see it clearly. It appears you need
a tripod to take a picture of your
tripod. ;-)

OTOH, it looks big and heavy, so I won't be ordering one. Not sure if it's any
better than the Cullmann set-up Walt
used? But yours was more fun for you - and cheaper. :-)

Three Legged Moose