Re: [OM] (OM) OT Chrome Browser

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Chrome Browser
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 22:21:50 +1030
Hi Brian,

Chrome is supplied by google,  as is the google toolbar. They are
collecting information on your searches, on your accesses, and who knows
what else- it is basically their stock-in-trade.  The results of this
data mining tailors our search results and even the ads we see, to be
consistent with your search and access history - this is part of the
product that they sell,as well as priority of search hits for their
advertisers...  I once blocked access to google-analytics on a client's
site- this stopped all www access for basically everybody. I suppose you
have to pay for the search site somehow! ...and this is why the
20-year-old girlie on the lower right side of your screen is in the next
suburb and is looking to meet *YOU*... *RIGHT NOW*!!

My suggestion as a replacement would be Opera- it's rated 100% W3C
compliant (that is it fully meets the open WWW interoperability
standards). The trouble with actually using this browser is that many
web pages are made with tools that favour other less-compliant browsers
and are somewhat broken unless you use M$IE or S@f@ri.

<rant> I have no problem with 'rich content' and 'user experience', but
if a site doesn't have a page that I can view on a text browser (yes, I
do have cause to do this from time to time) like lynx or w3m - and in
particular if they are trying to sell me something (or are collecting $
per click)  - then the site designers are just shooting themselves in
the foot </rant>

Opera is fairly small by comparison to oterh browsers, so you might give
it a try.

best wishes for a steady festive season.
davidt