Re: [OM] OT Chrome Browser

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Chrome Browser
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 01:30:34 +1300
Jan wrote

> > From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > I need to find a good other browser for windows.
>
> I think it's the last part of that statement that you need to find an
> alternative for! :-)

I tried 'VERY' hard on my previous computer to make a dual-boot
Linux/W'95 machine, and I never managed to get the Linux to work. it
caused me untold grief and waste of time.

Later I had cause to mention this aspect to one of the egg-head developers
and he made it clear that he couldn't give a stuff if anybody at all used it or
not, or how they found it. I think I urged him to develop a better, more
automated installation system, devoid of the cryptic commands that then
were in vogue (and maybe still are), so that the installation went as
seamlessly as most windows installations do.

Other people (I think our local Linux distributor)  have said to me that such
developers are often ( I forget for the moment what the congenital mental
state is - begins with 'a', and is accompanied by difficulties in associating
with people in a meaningful way).

So I have washed my hands of Linux. I'm no longer prepared to waste my
time in such large chunks.

Thanks all for the advice about Firefox and Aurora and Opera.

I 'do' have three older versions of Opera ( I have been an Opera user from
almost the day it started) and I value each one for different properties and
idiosyncrasies they have. One in particular because I know exactly where to
find its cache, which is handy when trying to save youtube and other videos
(doesn't always work :-(  ).. I did use a 'recent' version of Opera about 18
months ago and didn't like it at all, so I uninstalled it..

Since then I think I have read that the installation of a newest version will
erase / uninstall all other versions of Opera on my machine. I will not accept
that under any circumstances..  So, tough luck Opera - see you around, or
not, as the case  may be.

Yes, the older versions of Opera are delightfully light and quick, but I expect
that this could be due to their not having the ability to parse much modern
javascript or whatever script the page writers are using.

I'll try Firefox and Aurora.  Hadn't previously heard of the latter.

Brian Swale