Re: [OM] Trifles with Tripods, Part 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Trifles with Tripods, Part 1
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 07:35:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > ... I tried improvising with a monopod clamped in a Manfrotto Super
> > Clamp, but that was a disaster waiting for an opportunity to happen.
>
> As I thought, but didn't want to inhibit a free thinker. :-)
>
> > However, while rummaging in a thrift store I came across a Focal
> > 20-08-41 tripod, which consists of a less than adequate set of legs
> >  with a quick-rise column, a mediocre 3-way head, and a nicely
> > designed tilting crank-up boom.  I quickly made a new 1-piece base
> > for the boom with a 3/8" threaded mounting hole, and the result,
> > named Frankenpod 01, is to be seen here:
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8292007631/in/photostream
>
> That looks like a nice design - if I could see it clearly. It appears you
> need a tripod to take a picture of your tripod. ;-)
>
> OTOH, it looks big and heavy, so I won't be ordering one. Not sure if it's
> any better than the Cullmann set-up Walt used? But yours was more fun for
> you - and cheaper. :-)

     I've been a bit tardy in following up on this due to holiday activities
and shop work.  Here's a closeup of the Focal boom and Velbon head:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8306261967/in/photostream

     You'll notice that there is an additional 1/4-20 attachment point at the
top of the boom mount.  This is very handy for mounting a flash or a reflector
on a flexible arm.

     When combined with a Manfrotto Super Clamp, I can easily get the camera
down to six inches or less above the ground:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8307308084/in/photostream/

     Next I'm going to see if there's any advantage to inverting the tripod
column with the boom attached to get even closer to the ground, or if it's more
easily done by simply done by attaching the Super Clamp to the bottom end of
the column.

Chris