Re: [OM] Yuletide Photo

Subject: Re: [OM] Yuletide Photo
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 08:53:29 -0500
They are native to Mexico and Central America and often found as outdoor
plants in Florida and, I assume, other warm places as well.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poinsettia>

The Wiki article notes that: "The colors of the bracts are created
through photoperiodism, meaning that they require darkness (12 hours at
a time for at least 5 days in a row) to change color. At the same time,
the plants require abundant light during the day for the brightest
color."  My wife tells me that too much street lighting at night will
interfere with the color change.

Chuck Norcutt