Re: [OM] Yuletide Photo

Subject: Re: [OM] Yuletide Photo
From: jfwilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 07:55:31 -1000
Thanks Chuck.  I gather that the answer to my question is that these plants are
not associated with Christmas elsewhere in the world and my guess is that they
are only associated with Xmas in the US because they provide the perfect colors
of red and green.

You can see how they are growing on the right side of the church:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99378213@N00/8306687402/

This church was, incidentally, photographed by St. Ansel in the '40s, I think.
It is so remote that I can't think that it is used as a place of worship now,
but someone keeps the grounds up.  Halawa Valley where it is located used to be
one of the most significant population points for native Hawaiians, but the
whole settlement was wiped out by a tsunami in the '40s IIRC.  There are a few
people still living there.  The drive there is gorgeous but narrow and
dangerous in places.  I mean to photo-document the road sometime but I am
usually the one driving and have a car full of people on the verge of throwing
up and eager to "get there."

If I could just disappear into a place, it would be into Halawa Valley.

Joel W.