Re: [OM] Applications for mobile devices

Subject: Re: [OM] Applications for mobile devices
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 16:13:29 -0600
On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM, jfwilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Much of my vacation time has been devoted to learning to use my phone
> adequately and to continue getting some use from my iPad 1.0.  There had
> been a thread on photo apps a month or so ago.  I guess I have a little to
> add to the subject.
>
> It appears that the trend in photo apps is 1) to make it easy to "lomo"
> your cellphone pics, and 2) to become your "cloud." I don't want either of
> these things, and so my evaluations are colored by that.  I was intrigued
> to stumble on Photoshop Express, which is free I think because it wants to
> suck you into its own cloud structure.

I've played with PSEx a bit on iOS, but not much.  My main non-camera apps
are iPhoto and Autostitch.  I love Autostitch.  Autostitch is the one app
I've used more than anything else on my phone.  And they just released an
iPad-native version.  Autostitch is the killer app.  I think I paid $1.99
originally, and it just rocks.  Yes, with iOS6 you can do native panos on a
4S or a 5, but those are single-frame-high horizontal pans.

Autostitch, which is, by the way, my favorite iOS app ever (have I
mentioned just how much I love this app?  Wanted to make sure.) can blend a
big pile of images and create up to an 18MP pano on the iPhone and up to
36MP on the iPad.  I've done plenty where I shoot a spread of 9 or 10 shots
straight ahead, then tilt up and shoot another overlapping spread above and
one below.  I then open the app, just drop all of the images in, and the
thing is smart enough to figure out where they fit and just makes the magic
happen.  The first time I tried Autostitch was on my 3GS, and it blew my
mind that a $2 app on a smartphone was doing a better job at blending than
many I've seen done in $500 software on full-sized computers.

With the resolution of my iPhone 4S, I've gotten astounding results.  Are
they as fantastic as 36 stitched 15MP images in Photoshop or whatever? Not
quite, but when you realize what you've just done with that tiny computer
in your hand, it's really freaky.

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard