Re: [OM] IMG: The Ageless DC-3

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Ageless DC-3
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:09:28 -0800
On 12/29/2012 9:09 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> I'm no engineer, Brian, but I suspect that that flexibility is essential for
> the robustness of the machine.  It it's too rigid it breaks suddenly at a
> certain level of stress.

Exactly right.

The old, multi jet airliners were worse. I recall watching with interest, and
not a little trepidation, as the two
engines and various parts of the wing on a 707 all seemed to be moving
vigorously in separate directions in a complex
dance as we flew through a thunderstorm above Mexico City.

If you watched, you could even see the movement in the wings of the 727, DC-9
and other planes with body mounted
engines. On take-off the movement from slight droop to slight rise as lift
rises and takes on the weight of the aircraft
is easy to see. And in rough weather, they do flex visibly.

Flying Moose
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Maine/Other&image=100-0%7E64.jpg>