[OM] Lenses, Cameras and family events

Subject: [OM] Lenses, Cameras and family events
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:53:00 -0600
I'm following the latest discussion with interest as it is hitting pretty
close to home with me right now. On this trip, I've got an almost exclusive
OM kit, but do have the Panasonic DMC-L1 with me.

First of all, I'll acknowledge the elephant in the room and say that the
28/2 lens is in a totally different league than most lenses. But even with
other lenses, certain digital cameras or films react differently under
indoor conditions and in the 1-3 meter subject-camera distance range.

Leica has historically produced cameras and lenses which perform
exceedingly well in these conditions. Certainly better than Canon lenses.
Some Nikon lenses are really good in this range too--especially the really
old Nikkors from the F/F2 days. But among most manufacturers, this distance
range just seems a little on the flat side. I'm trying to remember which
one it was, but there was one common lens which seemed to invert the
subject from the background. Overall, I've been satisfied with the OM
Zuikos as they tend to do very well in this 1-3 Meter range. Not all,
though. Most of the DZ lenses left me a bit cold, though.

I'm not at liberty to show some test shots that I took of my girls last
evening (bad hair, etc...) but I did some test pictures with the L1 in both
color and B&W. The B&W shots are simply "wow" pictures. The color shots are
decent, but not exceptional. Same settings, just in-camera color mode
change. It's as though the pictures were taken with two different lenses.
This was true with every lens I tested, not just the 28/2, but it was most
evident with the 28/2.

AG

--
Ken Norton