Re: [OM] (OM) Perception of colour

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Perception of colour
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 19:01:35 -0800
On 12/30/2012 5:18 PM, Brian Swale wrote:
> Since before the discussions of Tina's Guatemalan photos of brightly
> coloured  homespun and home-dyed fabrics which some of us had difficulty
> in accepting the reality of; but certainly highlighted by those discussions, I
> have been wondering about some colours, especially some rather  vivid
> reds.
>
> I have about 4 rose varieties in 'my' garden which seem to cause problems
> by whatever means I photograph them - be it film or digital.
>
> The red seems to bleed into the adjoining parts of the image.
>
> The thought crosses my mind, since to my eyes it is present in not only all
> media I use but also when I look at the flowers in daylight be it cloudy or
> bright - MAYBE the 'fault' is with my own eyes.

I'll believe you when you post images of them that don't have the red channel
splattered over the end of the histogram.
I'm not saying it can't be true. I am saying I photograph lots of bright red
flowers, including roses, and I've yet to
find an image where what I imagine from your description happens where the red
channel isn't clipped.

Your inability or refusal to shoot Raw, bracket widely and process in 16 bit
suggest to me that you aren't serious about
finding a solution to the problem. It's also a very common problem with slide
film, where it can be even more difficult
than with digital.

Color neg film is much more forgiving, with a long, soft shoulder, but not when
automated printing or inexpensive bulk
scanning is involved. Both almost always just let the highlights go, in favor
of nice midtones and snappy contrast. It
wasn't until I got a dedicated film scanner that I got proper highlight detail.

> I can easily load more pics if need be, if that will help illustrate which
> reds I
> am thinking of.

By all means, I'd like to see examples of what you are talking about. But not
if they show signs of clipped reds. I've
seen red flowers that require -2.0 EV compensation - and may still clip a
little. And that's using ACR, with its
excellent highlight recovery ability. Shooting JPEGs, who knows?

Give some names. Maybe I will find one in a rose garden here to play with.

To get those colours right, you have to be willing to let the middle tones go
dark and the shadows seemingly disappear.
If your camera or film/scanner have sufficient DR and low enough noise, you may
then bring those tones back up to get
'normal' midtones. With all but the best DR/noise cameras, the shadows need to
be let go.

> And now it is 9 3/4 hours until we here cross over into 2013.

And a Happy New Year to you!

Still about 29 hours for us here. But even if you were to give us early warning
it's not a good one, I don't know how to
avoid it. :-)

> I wish us all a great, happy and prosperous New Year.

Thanks!

> Have a great evening celebrating, if that is what you plan.

I plan quiet, leaving the night and the public streets to the mad folks. :-)

New Year's Moose