Re: [OM] The Seattle Solution?

Subject: Re: [OM] The Seattle Solution?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:55:46 -0800
On 12/31/2012 12:18 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
> I can confirm that.  I live in Seattle, and it's been raining every day
> for forty days and forty nights.  Or something like that... Yesterday
> the sun came out for about an hour, and we felt like it was July.

Seattle itself is not an especially rainy city, in terms of total water
falling, although some nearby cities are. The
problem is that it receives the least sunlight. My first visit, long ago, is
illustrative. Over almost a week, it seldom
rained hard, but never, when I was watching or out in it, entirely stopped
precipitating, in some form or other.

As we drove out of town, there was a brief clearing to the East, and sun shown
briefly on Mt Ranier, before closing in
again. It then rained, sometimes torrentially, all the way down to Calif.

 From Wikipedia:
"At 944 mm (37.49 in.), in reality, the city receives less precipitation
annually than New York City (1201 mm/47.28
in.), Atlanta (1290 mm/50.79 in.), Boston (1055 mm/41.53 in.), Baltimore (1038
mm/40.87 in.), Portland, Maine
(1128 mm/44.41 in.), Jacksonville, Florida (1304 mm/51.34 in.), and most cities
on the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S.
These figures may be slightly misleading, however, as Seattle proper gets less
rain than the region as a whole.
Bremerton (15 miles SW of Seattle), and Issaquah (15 miles SE of Seattle) both
receive 65 inches of rainfall annually,
which means that some cities in the Seattle metro area would be considered the
rainiest cities in the continental U.S.
However, as noted, the official figures for Seattle reflect those of Seatac, a
suburb several miles south of the city,
which means Seattle proper may have different figures. Surprisingly, Seattle
proper was not listed in a study that
revealed the 10 rainiest cities in the continental United States. However, the
city is becoming wetter; the current
annual rainfall average of 952 millimeters reflects an increase of 11
mm.^Seattle receives the largest amount of
rainfall of any U.S. city of more than 250,000 people in November, and is in
the top 10 through winter, but is in the
lower half of all cities from June to September. Seattle is in the top 5
rainiest U.S. cities by number of
precipitations days, and *it gets the least amount of annual sunlight of all
major cities in the lower-48 states*."

> --Peter "What's a cubit?" Klein

A 3-D square, of course. :-)

Informative Moose